What is Stormwater?
- Rain or snowfall plus anything it carries along with it.
- As stormwater flows, it picks up and carries away natural and human-made pollutants to storm drains.
- Unlike sewage, stormwater is not treated.
- Stormwater flows directly from our streets to waterways, inhabited by fish and other aquatic animals and plants.
Stormwater Pollutants Include:
- Excess fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides from residential areas.
- Oil, grease, and toxic chemicals from urban and industrial areas.
- Sediment from improperly managed construction sites and eroding banks.
- Bacteria and nutrients from pet wastes, and faulty septic systems.