Obtaining a Passport
Note: Applications are accepted Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 8:30 am to 4 pm (Closed for lunch noon to 1 pm).
Also, we do not offer photo services on-site.
- If this is your first passport or
- If your passport was issued over 15 years ago or
- If you were under 16 when your passport was issued
You will need the following:
- Completed Application Form DS-11 (PDF)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (1 of the following documents):
- Previous U.S. Passport,
- Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Report of Birth Abroad,
- Birth Certificate: Certified copy, issued by a city or town clerk, not a hospital. The birth certificate must contain the following:
- Given Name and Surname
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- File or Registration Date
- Certification (raised or colored seal)
- Parents Name on Birth Certificate. (It is highly recommended that you submit a "long-form" copy, complete with parental information; extract cards are often insufficient and could cause delay)
- Proof of Identity: Acceptable documentary evidence of identity (photo ID) is required. For example: Previous U.S. Passport, Driver's License (not temporary or learner's permit), etc.
- 1 Passport Photo: 2 inches by 2 inches, full face, plain light background.
- Regular Fees (10 to 13 week processing time):
- Adult, 16 years and older: $130 check payable to U.S. Department of State and $35 payable to Town of Orleans.
- Minor, Under 16 years: $100 check payable to U.S. Department of State and $35 payable to Town of Orleans
- (U.S. Department of State must be paid by check or money order; Town may be paid by cash or check)
- Applying for a passport card adds $30 to adult fees, $15 to an under-16 fees.
- Or Expedited Fees (7 to 9 week processing time):
- Adult, 16 years and older: $209.53 check payable to U.S. Department of State and $63.75 payable to Town of Orleans.
- Minor, Under 16 years: $179.53 check payable to U.S. Department of State and $63.75 payable to Town of Orleans.
- (U.S. Department of State must be paid by check or money order; Town may be paid by cash or check
We do NOT offer passport photo services on-site here at the Orleans Assessing Office.
Please visit one of these places to get your passport photos taken:
- Orleans Camera & Video located at Skaket Corners, 9 West Rd, Orleans
- Walgreens located at Orleans Marketplace, 130 Route 6A, Orleans
- CVS Pharmacy located at Skaket Corners, 9 West Rd, Orleans
Passports for Children/Minors
Note: A minor's passport must be executed in person with Form DS-11 (PDF).
If the child is under the age of 16, both parents and the child must appear together, and the child's certified birth certificate is required (even if the child is submitting a previously valid passport), in order to prove parentage.
If the minor is between the ages of 16 and 18, they must appear with at least 1 parent at the time of application.
If one parent is unable to appear, the Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances Form (PDF) may be used (and must be notarized).
Passport Renewals by Mail
You are qualified for this if :
- Your old passport was issued within the last 15 years
- Your old passport was issued after your 16th Birthday
- You can submit your most recent passport
- You are using the same name or can submit the marriage certificate or court order showing your new name
If you fulfill all of the above, submit an application for Passport by Mail (Form DS-82 [PDF]), along with 2 new photos, your old passport, and a $130 check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State to the address on the application form.
- Standard passport processing time is currently 10-13 weeks. For expedited processing, the time is 7-9 weeks.
- Applications are accepted Tuesdays through Thursdays, 8:30 am to 4 pm (Closed for lunch noon to 1 pm). You do not need to make an appointment with us. Just come in during those hours and we will be happy to help you.
- If you have lost your passport, you must apply for a new one, not a renewal.
- Only 1 person per passport. Each child/person must have their own passport.
- Passports are valid for 10 years for an adult (16 and over) and 5 years for a minor.
- Applicants must appear in person. Both parents must accompany minors to sign/co-sign for them. Children are also required to be present when applying for a passport.