Affordable Housing Documents and Presentations
There are numerous studies and plans that have been developed to deal with housing issues and numerous efforts to inform the community and general public of needs and actions. The Town’s studies, reports, and presentations are complemented by efforts on the regional and national level. A few key documents and presentations are listed below with links.
- On February 1, 2022, Orleans boards, commissions, and committees were invited to a presentation to learn about the affordable housing problem and what Orleans’ various advisory and regulatory bodies can do the assist with solutions. The Community Development Partnership’s Andrea Aldana presented Housing 101 to provide background on the nature and causes of the affordable housing problem on the Cape. Marsha Allgeier, Orleans Affordable Housing Coordinator, presented on what Orleans has done, strategies for the future, and what the advisory bodies can do.
- Orleans Community Housing Study – December 2017: this comprehensive study of the demographic and housing characteristics in Orleans formed the basis of much of the action taken between 2017 to the present time.
- Guiding Principles of Affordable Housing Committee and Affordable Housing Trust (2019), including Ten Year Goals and Strategies: based on the 2017 Community Housing Study, the Town adopted a ten-year plan to produce 100 units of affordable housing from 2018 to 2028.
- The Orleans Comprehensive Plan, adopted in 2006, has long recognized the importance of affordable housing to the Town.
- Cape Cod Commission Housing Market Assessment - Donahue Update(2022-2023)
- Cape Cod Commission Regional Policy Plan:
- Cape Cod Commission Regional Housing Market Analysis and Ten-Year Forecast of Housing Supply and Demand (Crane Associates), 2017: The Cape Cod Commission contracted with the consultant Crane Associate to analyze housing and economic data, investigate needs, and project needs over 10 years.
- Creative Approaches to Moderate Density: Filling the Missing Middle on Cape Cod: In 2018 Union Studio and Cape Cod Commission held a series of workshops at a number of locations, including Orleans, to discuss how to increase housing density and diversify the housing stock to meet housing needs, while respecting community character and environmental resources.
- Condominium Purchase & Resale Study, 2009 (PDF): In July 2008, JTHaskell Consulting was charged with the task of helping the Town of Orleans to understand the local condominium market and assess opportunities to purchase condominium units for either resale to qualified first- time buyers or rental to tenants as affordable housing, as a potentially cost-effective way to meet the Town’s affordable housing goals without increasing overall housing density -- and provide affordable units more quickly than by new construction. The report made recommendations for actions or an approach to establish a successful program for the purchase and resale or rental of condominiums based upon: an assessment of existing inventory, ownership, turnover, and demographics of owners, buyers, and tenants in Orleans.
- Orleans Pennrose Market Study:
- Flyers/Fact Sheets: Occasionally the Orleans Affordable Housing Committee produces information sheets to describe affordable housing projects and why they should be supported. The first was produced to distribute at Town Meeting in 2021, in support of the Pennrose/CC5 project.