Prior to the Orleans Police Department being organized in 1946, the chairman of the Board Of Selectman was the acting Chief of Police with many "special" police officers.
The Departments first Chief was Clarence L. Vanasse who was appointed in May 1946. Chief Vanasse resigned in 1948, and the Department's first patrolman Joseph W. Higgins was then appointed Chief in August 1948.
Since then there have been Six chiefs appointed. Chief Anstess in 1950, Chief "Chet" Landers in 1954 where he would serve for 29 years, Chief Walsh in 1983, Chief Stone in 1988, Chief Roy 2003, and currently Chief Scott MacDonald who was appointed in 2012.
In 1954 the Police Dept. moved from a small corner in the former Town Hall, into a new addition in the Fire Station that was located on Main Street in the center of town.
About thirteen years later, in 1967 the Orleans Police and Fire Depts. moved into a then newly constructed building at the corner of Route 28 and Eldredge Parkway.
In 1989 the Fire Dept moved into its own facility on Eldredge Parkway and the Police Dept. took over the "old" building after extensive renovations were completed. The Orleans Police Department still sits there today at 90 South Orleans Road.
Today, The Department is led by Chief Scott MacDonald. The Department also has One Deputy Chief, One Lieutenant, Five Sergeants, One Detective, Thirteen Patrol Officers, Four Dispatchers, and Two Administrative assistants.